Movie #1: Roman Holiday
If you're unfamiliar with this movie, it's a classic film starring Audrey Hepburn as a princess who runs away for a day, meets Gregory Peck, and has a spectacular Roman Holiday. As my name is only 3 letters different from hers, and as I was in Rome, I naturally couldn't help comparing my experience with this movie. While there was no Gregory Peck, there was a second Audrey, my roommate, which for all the boys out there is even better, am I right?
I didn't run from the cops, swim in the river, or get a really short haircut, but I did eat tons of gelato, see the Spanish Steps, and put my hand in the Mouth of Truth.
This photo from the movie brings us to our next movie.
In the background of this photo is the Castle Sant'Angelo, which features prominently in:
Movie #2: Angels and Demons
If you've seen Angels and Demons, you probably recognize this building from the seriously epic shots they did with it. That's right, I went there.
I also saw the Pantheon, which Robert Langdon mistakes for the first part of the Illuminati trail.
On top of that, I went to the Vatican-- saw the Sistine Chapel, statues castrated by popes, St. Peter's Square, the works.
Oh, who's that in the background?
Oh yeah, the Pope. NBD.
Movie #3: Ben-Hur
Ben-Hur is one of the great epic films of Charlton Heston, which is about a Jew in the Roman Empire. In it there's a seriously awesome chariot race, one of those scenes that makes me lament that they just don't make movies like this anymore. If you want to watch it:
I naturally thought of this scene when I saw the Circus Maximus.
Conclusion: My Roman Holiday was totally better than Audrey Hepburn's, not only because I saw WAY more than she did, but I also got to hang out with a real Roman who taught me an Italian card game on the train. WIN.



LIIIIKE! Your trip was awesome :)
ReplyDelete