Most of us who use social media have seen this hashtag. Referring to the phrase "You only live once," you often see it when people post adventurous, noteworthy, impulsive, and adreneline-junkie types of photos.
For one month, I took YOLO as my motto.
I am never going back.
Following my graduation from BYU, I decided to take a month to do all the things in Utah I had missed out on doing when I was too busy being "responsible" and a certified overachiever. For once in my life, I decided my time would be mine. If I wanted to do something, I'd do it. If I wanted to go somewhere, I'd go. If I wanted to blast music from my car and dance in a park with friends, I'd dance, dang it. (That happened.) I took anyone who would go with me, and took off to explore and enjoy what life had to offer. Here's a snapshot of some of my more noteable YOLOing:
I explored the beauties of Capitol Reef with some of my best friends and former roommates.
I went to two other roommates/best friends' weddings in one day.
I cut off a foot of hair.
I stayed at a remote cabin filled with 3 friends and tons of strangers and played like a child.
I saw Ed Sheeran live in concert, who I've been fangirling over since 2011.
I took buffalo selfies. I floated in the Great Salt Lake.
I nuzzled many puppies.
I took an accidental day trip to San Francisco.
After China, I moved home, and the reality that I was graduated and still unemployed in my field of choice began to sink in. I had few friends, and many of the new friends I've since made are back at school now. I began to feel directionless. I had a hard time finding motivation to apply for jobs in my field, knowing that starting my career is what I'm "supposed to do" as a college graduate, but only finding myself craving the carefree, adventuring, bucket-list-fulfilling days of YOLO Month. I realized that I want to LIVE my life, not let it live me. I want to explore; I want to experience new things. I want to eat interesting foods; I want to meet interesting people. I found inspiration in the example of an old friend with whom I recently reconnected, who has spent his time since graduating traveling the world, immersing himself in new cultures, and writing his own story while remembering the truly important things in life.
Though YOLO Month is over, the spirit of YOLO Month lives on.
So today, I am pleased to announce that next week,
I am moving to New York City
to live with one of my best friends until Christmas. I'll keep working online, I'll explore the city, and while I don't know what my future holds, I am hopeful. To document my experiences, I am relaunching my blog after a 3-year hiatus.
Do I hear #YOLOYear?























Awesome! Good to hear from you. Support! Support!
ReplyDelete