Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mawwiage is what bwings us togevah today

My roommate is engaged! Or as my other roommates would say, it's "a fish!" This involves a story wherein we locked her and her then-almost-boyfriend now-fiance on the balcony to try and force them to make their relationship official, or "offish," so when we asked her if they were offish, almost-boyfriend says, "Wait, this was all about a fish?!"

I'm really excited for her. She's been busy the last couple of weeks planning the wedding. As such, I've been thinking a lot about marriage lately. I can think of 5 friends off the top of my head who got married at the end of last semester, and 7 who are engaged right now. BYU loves marriage. Sometimes I forget how weird it is that so many of us are married. I was telling a friend from home about my roommate's coming nuptials, and I realized how weird that would be to her. I think I've become successfully desensitized to Utah culture. The other day I was shocked to find out that there was not a single married person in my political science class (which could be a whole other blog post altogether...). Oh, BYU.

But fear not, friends, if you think I'm becoming marriage-hungry nut job. First off, one of my best friends refuses to let me get married until she has my masters' degree in hand. Secondly, my dreams are here to remind me what an outrageous folly it is to rush into marriage.

Earlier this week I dreamed I was getting married to a guy I was only somewhat acquainted with. After my wedding, I was wandering around our house, kind of overwhelmed with what had just happened. Luckily, new hubby was cute, and was very understanding of my stress. On the same day, I had a baby who wouldn't stop crying because he kept soiling his diaper every 5 minutes, so I kept having to change it. My baby was nice too, though. He told me after awhile that it was okay if I didn't change his diaper, since he knew I had just changed it multiple times.Thanks, talking baby.

Suffice it to say, despite the kindness of  my new dream family, my subconscious has severely rebuked me for even thinking that marriage could be fun. According to her, marriage is being forcibly stuck with someone you don't know for eternity, and babies are just tiny factories of stink and tears. Sorry to burst your bubble, BYU and my 12 married/marriage-bound friends, but we all know dreams= reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment