Remember how I loved it? Remember how cool I thought it was for being an old-fashioned skeleton key?
Well, the honeymooning period between us is long past. It's over for us. And here's why.
One day I'm sitting at home. One of my roommates is in Barcelona, and the other had left earlier that morning for London. Out of habit, she locked the door on her way out. Now, under most circumstances, this wouldn't be a problem. But I can't live under normal circumstances, can I?
So I go to try and unlock the door. The key won't turn. I try over and over again. It still won't turn.
My key decided to teach me the hard way that it can do everything it's supposed to do except one minor, tiny wee thing.
It can't unlock my door from the inside.
Piece. Of. Junk.
So I start considering my options:
I call my landlady. She's in Dubai.
I look out the window, but decide that scaling the wall from 3 stories up is not the best idea.
Remember that scene in Cinderella when the evil step-mother locks her in her room? With the big skeleton key just like mine?
That's what it felt like.
Unfortunately, I don't have Gus-Gus and that other mouse to come save me from my tower. I'm just glad I had enough food to last me a few days, just in case.
Then I remember: I have friends. More importantly, I have friends with cars who will be driving into Edinburgh that night. If I get one of them to stop by my flat on the way to our church activity, I can hand them the key through the mail slot, they can unlock the door, and then drive me to the church, saving me from my tower and from a £1.30 bus fare. WIN-WIN. So I text my friend, and in the meantime I try to entertain myself.
![]() |
| Nothing like calling my animal friends to pass the time. |
So finally the time comes, and my friend comes by my flat, I pass him the key, and he frees me from my prison and drives me to the church.
My hero.
Here's a display of his manliness:
I don't even know how this got started. Or why.
Suffice it to say, my key and I are finished. I've replaced it with a similar but far superior key that actually unlocks my door from the inside. To my key, I quote Beyonce, my unashamed woman-crush:
"I can have another you in a minute. . . .
Don't you ever for a second get to thinking your irreplaceable." (Note the proper use of ellipses, thank you.)
And I know I always wish my life was a Disney movie. But karma, out of all the awesome Disney princesses, you had to pick Cinderella? Who ever wanted to be Cinderella?? I mean really.


this is hilarious.
ReplyDelete